The Main Ingredients of A Beef Enchilada Casserole:
A beef enchilada casserole starts with the toritilla. You can choose between plain, wholewheat, or a specialty flavor. Once you choose a tortilla, the filling will be the next fundamentail ingredient. Depending on what you ilke, you can use beans, ground beef, tofu, etc...anything works. The last ingredient will be the sauce. You can make a beef enchilada casserole mild or spicy with class or salsa verde sauce.
Enchiladas should be served with some type of guacamole or sour cream as they will help counter the spiciness of the sauce you use. Cheese should also be used on top of the enchilada as who doesn't love cheese. Of course these alternate ingredients aren't needed, but they do add to the full combination of flavors.
The only other factor you will want to consider is how you cook the beef enchilada casserole. While the most popular is wrapping them, if you need to feed a whole family it's not a bad idea to throw everything into a casserole.
The Key to a Great Beef Enchilada:
Because ground beef is the most popular filling for a casserole, we need to take a closer look. There are a number of different choices you can use and most depend on the amount of time you want to spend cooking. Ground beef is definitely the easiest choice, but try to avoid using low fat beef as it will take away from the flavor.
If you want the family to talk about this dish for a long time, you can cut up some sirloin steak into 2 inch long strips. Or possibly the best choice, go for shreadded beeef. With a crock pot, you can roast it long enough so it is able to shread. Whichever beef you go with, make sure to drain the meat when your done cooking it so you don't have a soggy beef enchilada casserole.
Here are a few popular beef enchilada dishes:
Easy To Prepare Mexican Dinner Casserole Recipes
Having some preparation time for your beef enchilada casserole is very important. If it is an issue for you, I recommend you prepare everything in the morning and refrigerate everything until ready to cook.
Mexican Enchilada Casserole Recipe
1 lb. ground beef
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 envelope of enchilada sauce mix (purchase it near where the taco seasoning is sold)
8 (8" round) flour tortillas
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 container sour cream
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees
- In a pan, cook the ground beef until brown, draining out fat.
- In the same pan, add the refried beans, water, tomato sauce, and sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes
- In a casserole dish, add half of the flour tortillas, overlapping them as you go. Top with half of the ground beef mixture and shredded cheese. Repeat process.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese
Cheesy Taco Casserole Recipe
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning
12 oz. pkg. of shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 bag tortilla chips
(optional) Your choice of salsa
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees
- In a pan, cook the ground beef until brown, draining out fat
- In the same pan, add the taco seasoning and mushroom soup and simmer for 5 minutes
- In a casserole dish, layer the tortilla chips, meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat process until the casserold dish is full ending with the cheese
- Bake for 20-25 minutes